May 2023 Educator of the Month

Superintendent, Ms. Tammy Chavis, is pleased to announce that Mrs. Missy Renforth, fourth grade teacher at Laurel Elementary, has been selected as May’s “Educator of the Month.”

After receiving her Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education from Indiana University, Mrs. Renforth was hired by the Franklin County Community School Corporation to cover a maternity leave. The following school year, Mrs. Renforth was hired as a full time elementary teacher at Laurel. Her teaching tenure at Laurel Elementary spans 34 years, and she has taught third, fourth, and fifth grade.

Missy was nominated for this honor by several parents. When asked why Mrs. Renforth should be considered for this recognition, they responded, “She is a wonderful teacher who makes a difference in our kids’ lives. Mrs. Renforth makes sure parents are kept in the loop with what is going on daily in her classes. She has made herself readily available if we ever have any questions or concerns. Additionally, Missy volunteers her time to be the Girls On The Run coach. Mrs. Renforth makes this program fun and special for each child, which is important for children to learn and grow.”

In addition to serving the Laurel community, Mrs. Renforth gives back to her own community. She grew up in Cambridge City, Indiana and continues to reside there. In her hometown she is a member of the Cambridge City Christian Church, and an active volunteer for the local Food Pantry and Downtown Beautification Program where she waters the flowers.

Mrs. Renforth’s “free time” revolves around sports. Missy and her family are huge IU fans and love following the Indianapolis Colts. She also enjoys traveling, walking, yard work, and spending valuable time with family and friends.

When asked what she loves most about her job, Mrs. Renforth responded, “The amazing people and kids I work with everyday. My work family has made me a better teacher and person. The group of teachers in the intermediate wing at Laurel Elementary have been an awesome support for me through good times and bad. My favorite part of my job is the relationships I have formed with students. Many are adults now and I have taught their children. These are lasting memories I will keep with me forever.”

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community. Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.