March Educator of the Month

Superintendent, Dr. Debbie Howell, is thrilled to announce that Mrs. Colleen Tincher has been selected as March’s “Educator of the Month”.  According to Howell, “When I picture an exemplary teacher, Mrs. Tincher comes to mind.  She embodies all the qualities I look for in a “highly effective” teacher.  She serves as a role model for her colleagues.”

Mrs. Tincher serves as Department Chair for the World Languages Department at Franklin County High School.  She currently teaches Spanish 1 and 4.  She also teaches a dual credit course in conjunction with Ivy Tech.  During her 16 years at FCHS she has taught all levels of Spanish.  Prior to her tenure at FCHS, Mrs. Tincher taught at Oldenburg Academy, North Decatur Jr/Sr High School, and Lawrenceburg High School.

A current FCHS student nominated Senora Tincher for this recognition.  This is not the first time that she has been recognized by students for her dedication and commitment.  Mrs. Tincher is a four time I-STAR (Indiana Student-Teacher Achievement Recognition).  During her career Senora Tincher has taught Spanish to over 4000 students.  Several of her former students have become Spanish teachers themselves; while many others utilize Spanish in their careers.   Social media has allowed Mrs. Tincher to stay in touch with many of her former students.  According to Mrs. Tincher, “I hear quite frequently from former students who check in with me and let me know how they are using their Spanish in college, in their jobs, or in their daily lives, or who simply check in to say they heard a certain song which brought back good memories of our time together in class.  This kind of feedback reminds me of why I love being a teacher.”

As a teacher, Mrs. Tincher has embraced the “digital era” and serves as mentor for others in her building.  When asked about the “best part” of her job, Mrs. Tincher responded, “A recent “best” part of my job is learning at this advanced stage of my career how to incorporate technology into my classroom.   Although it is mentally challenging, I find it to be very stimulating.  I may not be as computer savvy as most young teachers, but I believe that technology has breathed new life into my teaching, and that coupled with my years of experience in the classroom, it actually makes me an even more valuable resource.  I was eligible to retire in 2015, but because of the adventure this uncharted territory holds for me, I have decided I am not ready to leave teaching yet.  I still have a lot to give to the students of FCHS over the next several years.”

In very “rare” moments when Mrs.Tincher is not teaching or preparing lessons, she enjoys spending time with her husband, Jeff, their children, Katelyn and Matthew, and their three grandchildren.  She and her husband are also actively involved in the Metamora business community.  

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community.  Parents and students are encouraged to nominate outstanding educators for this monthly recognition.  Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.