December 2022 Educator of the Month

Superintendent, Ms. Tammy Chavis, is pleased to announce that Mrs. Colleen Tincher, Spanish Teacher at Franklin County High School, has been selected as December’s “Educator of the Month.” Her second time being selected, Colleen was also our Educator of the Month in March of 2016.

In 1981, Mrs. Tincher earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Spanish Secondary Education from Ball State University. Four years later she achieved her Master’s Degree in Spanish/English Secondary Education from the same university. Overall, Colleen has been in education for 38 years. She has taught at Lawrenceburg High School, North Decatur Jr/Sr High School, Oldenburg Academy, and Franklin County High School. Mrs. Tincher came to Franklin County High School in 2000, which makes this her 22nd year here.

Colleen was nominated for this honor by a student. When asked why Mrs. Tincher should be considered for this recognition, the student responded, “Senora is always super kind and understands that some students need to work at a slower pace than others. She’s always there if I need to ask questions and understands what I am trying to say whether I am communicating in Spanish or English. She is also super nice out of the classroom and very supportive with activities students do. Senora Tincher tells everyone “hi” or “hello” and it doesn’t matter if you’re in her class or not. The way she is always in a happy and bright mood makes her stand out from other teachers.”

In addition to her educator roles, Colleen is the Spanish Club Co-Sponsor and Chairperson for the Franklin County High School Department of World Languages. Sharing her expertise doesn’t stop there though. Mrs. Tincher is also a member of AATSP (American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese) and ACTFL (American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages). Her hardwork and dedication has shown through by being a six time recipient of the ISTAR Award.

Colleen spends her “free time” visiting coffee shops, going to church, and spending time with her husband, adult children, and grandkids. This year, she has been working with her daughter on a side business in which they repurpose and upcycle vintage figurines and decor into modern day treasures.

When asked what she loves most about her job, Mrs. Tincher responded, “The best part of my job and what drives me to give my best every day in the classroom, is knowing that I am privileged to touch the lives of so many students. Because of this, I take my job very seriously, and strive to always positively impact students. I enjoy hearing from former students who check in to let me know how they are, or to say that they heard or saw something that reminded them of our time together in class. This feedback reaffirms my decision to become an educator, and further fuels my love and passion for teaching. I am truly blessed!”

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community. Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.