Mrs. Renee Hensley: May 2022 Educator of the Month

Superintendent, Ms. Tammy Chavis, is thrilled to announce that Mrs. Renee Hensley, 5th and 6th grade teacher at Laurel Elementary School, has been selected as May’s “Educator of the Month.”

Mrs. Renee Hensley is in her twentieth year of teaching for the Franklin County Community Schools. Renee received her bachelor’s degree in education from Indiana University East. She continued her qualifications at Indiana Wesleyan where she earned her master’s in education.

Mrs. Hensley was nominated for this honor by a parent. When asked why Mrs. Hensley should be considered for this recognition, the parent responded, “She has helped many children not give up on themselves. She always makes sure to put a smile on the kids’ faces. No matter what is going on in her personal life, she is good at leaving it at the door and making the kids at Laurel feel like they matter. A lot of kids look up to her!”

In addition to her teaching responsibilities, Renee is actively involved at her church. She participates in the music and helps with mowing and summer maintenance.

When not at school, Renee enjoys planting flowers, yard work, and fitness activities. Most of all, she loves spending time with her two sons and taking advantage of nature.

When asked what she loves most about her job, Mrs. Hensley responded, “The best part of my job is connecting with my students. I love joking with them and hearing the funny stories they tell. Each child has a different story to bring my way and I have the great privilege of learning about them and from them. When I first started teaching, there was so much I didn’t know about interacting with children. Over the years, I’ve learned that kindness is best! Kids respond to someone treating them respectfully and sincerely. I have many ‘kids’ who will always be ‘my kids.’”

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community. Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.