February 2020 Educator of the Month

amy mitchumSuperintendent, Dr. Debbie Howell, is delighted to announce that Mrs. Amy Mitchum, Business teacher at Franklin County Middle School, has been selected as February’s “Educator of the Month”.  According to Howell, “Mrs. Mitchum’s impact on Franklin County Middle School extends well beyond the classroom. She works to ensure that students have a positive middle school experience.”

Mrs. Mitchum is in her twenty-fifth year of teaching for Franklin County Community Schools.  Mrs. Mitchum received her Bachelor’s Degree from Ball State University in Business Education and Office Administration then went on for her Master’s Degree in Education from Indiana Wesleyan. 

Mrs. Mitchum was actually nominated for this honor by a parent. The parent spoke about the attention to detail Mrs. Mitchum gives her students and of her willingness to step up. “I’m not sure many parents realize the around-the-clock time and energy Amy puts into making sure her students receive the best education possible, as well as the care she puts into projects such as the Christmas drive for families, the Washington D.C, trip, and the 8th grade video.”

In addition to her teaching assignment, Mrs. Mitchum helps as the Yearbook, Washington D.C and Media Club sponsor and has been creating the 8th grade video for many years now.  She also runs the King’s Island incentive trip for seventh and eighth graders as well as the fundraisers to help students go to King’s Island and Washington D.C.. 

When not at school, Mrs. Mitchum enjoys spending time with my family, taking pictures/making projects with the pictures, and golf. She is also a member of St. Michael Catholic Church; a member of the CRHP/Welcome group with St. Michael Church; help work with the Silent Auction at the church festival; member of the Franklin County College Coalition Committee.

When asked about other awards or honors received, Mrs. Mitchum responded, “I feel rewarded every time a student smiles at me; every time a former student makes contact with me to thank me for teaching him/her a skill they learned in my class; every time a student or parent appreciates the eighth grade video I create; every time the students have fun on a trip that is set up, etc. Seldom do students appreciate what they are taught at the time they are taught that specific material.  When they use the skill and succeed with the material and they finally “get it”, I feel rewarded. Through the years, I’ve had numerous emails from students expressing their gratitude for what they learned from me. I’ve had students walk over to my room from the high school during their IMPACT time and after school to thank me in person—several students have done this this school year.

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community.  Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.