January 2020 Educator of the Month

photo of ms lang

To kick off 2020, Superintendent, Dr. Debbie Howell, is pleased to announce that Ms. Kim Lang, a mathematics teacher at Franklin County High School, has been selected as January’s “Educator of the Month”.  According to Howell, “Ms. Lang is more than just a teacher at FCHS. She spends a great deal of time and energy working to create the most positive learning environment for both students and staff at the high school.  A great example of this is the leading role Ms. Lang plays in the upcoming Franklin County High School Parent Information Night, on January 30th.    

Ms. Lang has been in the Franklin County School Corporation for 15 years as an aide or substitute teacher before receiving her full-time teaching job at FCHS nine (9) years ago. Ms. Lang also teaches mathematics at Ivy Tech Community College in Connersville and Richmond.  Ms. Lang received her Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics and Natural Sciences from Indiana University East and also holds a Masters Degree from Oakland City University.

Ms. Lang was nominated for this honor by a student.  The student spoke of Ms. Lang saying, “She is a person that you can go to for homework help or you can go to her just to talk and get things off your chest. She is always there for her students. I owe everything I gained these past two years to Ms. Lang.”

When not at school, Ms. Lang enjoys spending her “free time” with family and friends, often making music or attending a musical event. She also enjoys reading and playing card and board games.  

When asked what she loves most about her job, Ms. Lang responded, “The best part of my job is being able to have a positive impact on my students’ lives, especially the MCATZ, Peer Tutor, and Community Service students.  I am honored to work with these students and help them learn to look beyond their own little worlds. It is so pleasurable for me to watch students blossom into empathetic, kind, and generous young adults who want to help others and make our world a better place.  Just as I try to inspire them, they inspire me to be a better teacher and a better person!”

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community.  Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.