May 2018 Educator of the Month

Superintendent, Dr. Debbie Howell, is honored to announce, that Mrs. Carol Blake, sixth grade teacher at Laurel School has been selected as May’s “Educator of the Month”. Mrs. Blake began her journey as a paraprofessional at Laurel School. Many members of the Laurel School family recognized her “gift” for teaching and encouraged her to pursue a degree in education. Mrs. Blake earned her degree from St. Mary of the Woods College while working full time at Laurel School.

Mrs. Blake puts 110% into everything she does. She is active in the classroom, school, and community. She is currently the coach of the RoboJackets, Laurel School’s robotics team. She recently accompanied the team to the VEX World Robotics Tournament in Louisville, Kentucky, where her students earned 20th place out of 400+ teams from all around the world. Mrs. Blake is also responsible for the journalism class at Laurel School and the production of the “Buzz” newscasts. In addition, Mrs. Blake was recently named a finalist for the Indiana Department of Education, Teacher of the Year in 2018.

In addition to her “school” duties, Mrs. Blake serves on the Franklin County Library Board. She is also a lifelong member of the Bible Baptist Church in Metamora. In her “free time” she loves to paint and write. Mrs. Blake’s dream is to author and illustrate a children’s book.

When asked about the best part of her job, Mrs. Blake replied, “The best part of my job is making a lasting impact on my students. 6th grade is a year full of transitions. I try instill character traits that will last into adulthood and have a positive impact on our community, as well as other communities. I also try to make sure that my students know that I am available to help them, even when they leave Laurel School and I try to instill a life-long love of reading.”

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community. Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.