October 2017 Educator of the Month

The entire Mt. Carmel School Community is thrilled to announce that Mrs. Paula Grubb has been selected as October’s “Educator of the Month”. In her seventh year as a full time teacher, Mrs. Grubb teaches second grade at Mt. Carmel School. Mrs. Grubb was nominated for this recognition by a parent. According to
Superintendent, Dr. Debbie Howell, Grubb’s nomination was one of the most heartfelt she has read since the Educator of the Month program began in January 2015.

After earning her degree in Elementary Education from Indiana University East, Mrs. Grubb was one of the school corporation’s “go to” substitutes filling countless maternity and medical leaves. During this time period, Mrs. Grubb had the opportunity to teach at all elementary grade levels and in all buildings. According to Mrs. Grubb, these long term leaves were an excellent way for her to gain experience and to get to know families and educators throughout the school corporation.

According to the parent who nominated Mrs. Grubb, “She (Mrs. Grubb) is intentional about everything she does with each individual student.” Mrs. Grubb takes the time to meet students where they are and to attend to each student’s individual needs. “She is loving, she is nurturing, she is so good at explaining things in ways that the kids understand, and she challenges them!”

In addition to her teaching duties, Mrs. Grubb helps coach “Girls on the Run” at Mt. Carmel School. She also volunteers her time preparing dinners at Work of Mercy and is active at the Crosspoint Community Church. She enjoys many outdoor activities such as hiking and kayaking. Mrs. Grubb also enjoys traveling with her family.

When asked about the best part of being a first grade teacher, Mrs. Grubb’s response was, “The best part of my job is the students! We begin the first day as strangers who are stepping into unknown territory and finish the last day as a special kind of family! I am privileged to see them reach goals, try harder, achieve the impossible, and set new goals. I get to help them through their frustrations, but also share in their smiles and laughs. I count my job, my coworkers, and my students as some of my greatest blessings!”

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community. Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.