September 2017 Educator of the Month

Superintendent, Dr. Debbie Howell, is pleased to announce that Mrs. Gina Barker, first grade teacher at Brookville Elementary School, has been selected as the first “Educator of the Month” for the 2017-18 school year. Mrs. Barker has been teaching primary children at Brookville Elementary School for the past 17 years.

After graduating from Franklin County High School, Mrs. Barker pursued her degree in Elementary Education from Indiana University East. Since earning her Bachelor’s Degree she has taught first and second grade at Brookville Elementary and also served as an Interventionist. In addition to her Bachelor’s Degree, Mrs. Barker received Reading Recovery and CIM Intervention Training from Purdue University.

Mrs. Barker was nominated for this recognition by a parent. According to this parent, “Mrs. Barker is a very enthusiastic teacher and interacts with her students AND parents very well. She is able to adapt to different learning styles and ensure that all of her students learn. I believe Mrs. Barker goes above and beyond to give each student the opportunity to excel. Her use of Barker Bucks for rewards and penalties is very effective. She sees the best in all of her students and ensures that they see it too.”

In addition to work in the classroom, Mrs. Barker serves her community. She has been a cheerleading sponsor and girls softball coach. She is also very active in her church in Metamora. In her “free time” she enjoys cheering on her daughters at their softball and soccer games, as well as, dance competitions.

When asked about the best part of being a first grade teacher, Mrs. Barker’s response was, “the children!” “Everyday I am welcomed with a classroom full of smiles and lots of hugs. I enjoy getting to know each child personally and academically. Watching the children’s growth from the beginning of the school year to the end is amazing. Knowing that I may play a small part in that child’s future is very rewarding. I enjoy every story I hear, every tear I wipe, and every hug I receive. I LOVE my job.”

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community. Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.