September Educator of the Month

FCHS Guidance Counselor, Whitney Gillman, recently received the good news that she had been nominated and selected for “Educator of the Month” recognition.  Gillman, a FCHS graduate and athletic standout, chose to return to her roots, here in Franklin County three years ago.

Gillman was nominated for this honor by a parent of FCHS students.  The nominating parent stated, “Ms. Gillman has been a lifesaver for my children on more than one occasion.  She is easy going, approachable, and knows her stuff.  Her door is always open and she is ready to help.  She has gone above and beyond helping my children get their schedules correct.”

After graduating from Franklin County High School, Gillman earned a Bachelor of Science in Education from Miami University and a Master of Arts in Counseling from Xavier University.  Her first counseling position was at St. Joseph Orphanage in Cincinnati.  From there she went to Amelia, Ohio to serve as a school counselor for students in grades 8 and 9.  In 2014, Ms. Gillman made the decision to apply for a counseling position at FCHS.  The rest is history.

In addition to her counseling duties, Gillman serves as Assistant Varsity Softball Coach at FCHS.  In the spring of 2016, she was inducted into the “Franklin County High School Athletic Hall of Fame” for her accomplishments and contributions while a member of the Wildcat soccer team, basketball team, and softball team.  

When not at work, Ms. Gillman still finds time to play slow pitch softball on a women’s travel team.  She enjoys any activity that allows her to spend time outdoors.  She also enjoys playing with her two young daughters.

When asked about the best part of her job, Gillman responded “I love working with the students at FCHS.”  They keep me on my toes and I learn so much from them.  “Seeing them happy and succeed is what I love about my job.”  According to Superintendent, Dr. Debbie Howell, “it is obvious that Ms. Gillman cares deeply about FCHS, the students, and the community.”  Ms. Gillman went on to say, “I have truly found my niche in life.  I feel like I am exactly where I need to be.”

The purpose of the “Educator of the Month” program is to recognize outstanding Franklin County educators who demonstrate excellence in the classroom, leadership in the school, dedication to the students, and involvement in the community.  Nomination forms for “Educator of the Month” can be found on the school corporation website at www.fccsc.k12.in.us.